Experience Mother Nature in one of her most intimate and delicate ecosystems. Join us for a tour of the bioluminescent bay at the La Parguera Reserve in Lajas, Puerto Rico!
Bioluminescent Bay East Kayaking Tour
- $ 100
Experience Puerto Rico’s Bioluminescent Bay
Your visit to Puerto Rico isn’t complete until you discover the natural wonders of one of our bioluminescent bays. Join us on an unforgettable tour to see this unique phenomenon.
Las Cabezas de San Juan National Park, set aside by the Department for Natural and Environmental Resources, is recognized as a world-class treasure. Within it is found one of the world’s few ‘Bio Bays’ where there are sufficient microscopic bioluminescent organisms to produce light visible to plain eyesight. Just agitate the water to activate the show.
We start our journey with a pickup at your hotel lobby. It’s an hour and a half drive from San Juan to Fajardo. The highway east drives you past the mountains that are the tropical rainforest. Immerse yourself in the perspective of the north east side of Puerto Rico. Once in Fajardo, you will receive a briefing on the use of tandem kayaks, with additional rules to follow on entering the bio bay.
After dusk, our tour guide will lead you and paddle out towards a mangrove lined canal that connects to the bio bay. Scientific reasons for the effect will be provided. Once at Laguna Grande an amount of time is given to frolic about kayaking and splashing water. (approx. 30 min.)
Guide, life vests, and Kayaks are provided. We drop you off at your hotel around 11 p.m.
What to Bring/Attire
- Dry fit clothes or bathing suit
- Change of clothes
- Camera (waterproof is best)
What Does the Experience Include?
- Professional Licensed Tour Guides
- Life Vest
This tour departs from San Juan. To account for transportation, participants should allow up to 6 hours for the entire experience.
- The bio bay is an unpredictable natural phenomenon that may be influenced by multiple factors. Bioluminosity level can vary from very visible to a minimum or none without any previous notice.
- Full Moon phase may also affect the visibility of the bioluminescence. In the event of this happening alternate methods such as the use of a tarp will be incorporated to appreciate it.